Community

Perkins Great Eastern Run, 11 October 2015

Perkins Great Eastern Run, 11 October 2015 1 2

[PREV] …you and give a little bit of adrenaline and motivation when you needed it. And other runners urging you not to give up, to run a bit faster and get a better time than you otherwise would. There are athletes at the front who are superhuman, but for most of us who were doing it for a charitable cause or for their own sense of accomplishment, that support was crucial.’

“PERKINS IS IMMENSELY PROUD TO be associated with the Perkins Great Eastern Run (PGER). Since 2006 the event has grown, attracting more runners in both the half marathon and fun run than ever before, and encouraging local residents to come out and support the runners, as they make their way around the course. The PGER is the largest road race in the East of England, but most importantly it’s a sporting event that has brought the local Peterborough community together. Over the years many people have used the fun run to improve their fitness and raise funds for a charitable cause, and we’re aware of families and community groups who have come together to train for and complete the half marathon course. The PGER is a truly great event for the city and its residents and I’d encourage everyone to get involved.”

Perkins Marketing Centre of Excellence Manager, Adrian Talbot

You may have noticed a reference to Annette Joyce there. While she can’t run the PGER any more – her responsibilities as Race Director on the day don’t allow it – she, too, has been through it, so knows what she’s talking about. ‘I’ve run it twice, as well as the London Marathon and several other half marathons. But this is up there with the London Marathon, because all along the route the residents come out and support it. I have never seen so much residential support wherever I’ve run, and we get that back from runners, too. It makes me feel so proud of Peterborough and its community, because you see all ages and all cultures just enjoying it.’

It’s not just about the half marathon, of course. There’s also the Anna’s Hope Fun Run and the Wheelchair Race, both of which are major events in their own right, and which raise huge amounts for charity. The Anna’s Hope Fun Run is a little less punishing than the half marathon – a somewhat gentler 5K run (or walk, or waddle in a hippo costume). In 2013, Marco Cereste took part alongside Mayor June Stokes. ‘I’m so unfit!’ he admits. ‘I just walked it with the mayor, to be honest. But there were lots of people there, all cheering and having a wonderful time, and it was fantastic day. I’d recommend anybody to have a go, even if you just do what I did and walk around. It raises some money, and a good walk will still do you some good – better than sitting on your backside watching telly!’

“YOU CAN’T OVERESTIMATE THE WORTH of an event like this to Peterborough. We are literally 1,500 applicants away from having the similar kind of TV packages that the likes of the Great Northern Run have. It is an event that people are going to talk about across the length and breadth of the country, but there is also the knock on to the economy of all the people who come for the weekend or the night before, and the impact that has on all our hotels and restaurants – the peripheral economy uplift, which we believe to be somewhere in the region of £3 million. The overwhelming feeling when you cross the line, though, is none of that, it’s the sheer cameraderie – the coming together of all the communities with one aim.”

Cllr Gavin Elsey, Cabinet Member for Street Scene, Waste Management, and Communications

So, how does it feel to finally cross that finishing line? ‘I can still feel it now,’ says Lisa. ‘Euphoric is the best way to describe it.’ ‘It’s kind of a mixture of euphoria and just plain relief that you haven’t got to run any more!’ says Gavin. ‘There’s a real sense of pride and achievement that you did it, that you’re getting a medal and a t-shirt saying ‘I did the Perkins Great Eastern Run’. It is fantastic. There are always those who sit on the sidelines and think: “Yeah, I could do that” but never actually do it. But then there are those who think: “Well, maybe next year I’ll have a go…”

So why not make this year the year you do it? Whether you run, walk or stumble across the finish line, there’s nothing quite like that sense of achievement.’

For more information about the Perkins Great Eastern Run 2014, including how to enter, volunteering or raising money for charity, plus all the latest race news and training tips, visit www.perkinsgreateasternrun.co.uk

You can also follow the PGER on Facebook for the latest updates: www.facebook.com/ThePerkinsGreatEasternRun

To find out more about Anna’s Hope, the leading children’s brain tumour charity in the East of England, visit www.annas-hope.co.uk      

ABOUT THE EVENT
Keeping up the pace
New to 2014 was the introduction of race pacers who once again this year will be helping runners to achieve their best possible time on race day. Seven pacers will lead different target times ranging from one and a half hours finish time to two hours and forty five minutes. Pacer times are: 1hr.30 target, 1.40, 1.50, 2.00, 2.10, 2.20 and 2.45

The time, the place…
The assembly point for the half marathon, wheelchair race and Anna’s Hope Fun Run on 11 October is at the Embankment where all races start and finish. Fun Run competitors will move to the start line at approximately 9.45am for a 10am start. The wheelchair race will start at 10.25am and the half marathon at 10.30am. Please check the website for more detailed information, including times of prize presentations. There will be plenty of stalls and refreshments for spectators to enjoy at the Embankment, with the city centre shopping area a five minute stroll away.

Free training sessions
Free fortnightly training sessions are being held at Peterborough Athletics Track on Wednesdays at 7pm. Dates of the sessions are: ■ 1, 15 and 29 July ■ 12 and 26 August ■ 9 and 23 September ■ 7 October.

Perkins Great Eastern Run, 11 October 2015 1 2

Leave a Reply

Comments are closed.

Register an Account